With the growing popularity of bariatric, or gastric bypass, surgery as a treatment for obesity, body contouring after significant weight loss has become a focus of Dr. Rahul Goyal practice. After developing an interest in this highly specialized area of plastic surgery, he now dedicates 50% of his practice to this complex, challenging, and extremely rewarding group of patients.
By applying the latest techniques in body sculpting individualized to each patient’s specific needs and priorities, Dr. Rahul Goyal can help you realize the new shape that is hidden beneath the excess skin that remains after your goal weight has been achieved.
Dr. Rahul Goyal is uniquely qualified to help reveal the “new you” because he is a board certified general surgeon as well as a board certified plastic surgeon. This means that he has actually performed gastric bypass surgery and is board certified to do so. Although he now practices exclusively on the cosmetic side of the equation, his training and experience have equipped him to understand your needs and deliver the solution in a safe, professional, and artistic manner.With significant weight loss over a relatively short period of time (usually 12-18 months), the remaining skin often does not retain the elastic qualities necessary to “shrink back down” to your new underlying shape. This often leaves patients with excessive amounts of hanging skin that creates a multitude of problems such as daily hygiene and finding clothes that fit properly.
Dr. Rahul Goyal has developed a comprehensive approach to bariatric patients who wish to achieve their optimal shape following weight loss. One of the most important considerations for a plastic surgeon to realize is that a bariatric patient must be treated differently from non-bariatric body
contouring patients. What has worked well for many years on other patients simply does not provide adequate shaping and contouring for the bariatric patient.
COMMON CONCERNS AFTER EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS
Patients who have undergone bariatric surgery and the subsequent significant weight loss have
numerous but similar areas of concern. These areas usually include:
- Breast ptosis, or droopiness, as well as a loss of breast volume (See Mastopexy) Forwomen, mastopexy (breast lift surgery) is a procedure to lift the breasts and may be performed with or without the addition of breast implants to improve shape, fullness and cleavage. For men, several breast reduction techniques are available, depending on the degree of correction required.
- Sagging of the facial skin (See Facelift) Rhytidectomy (facelift surgery), forehead lifting and blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) may be necessary to achieve complete facial rejuvenation, or you may be a candidate for an endoscopic or minimally invasive technique.
- Excess abdominal skin and a laxity of the muscles of the abdominal wall(sometimes with an accompanying hernia) (See Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift)Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck surgery) or a lower body lift procedure can contour the abdomen, hips, outer and posterior thighs and buttocks.
- Hanging skin under the arm (See Arm Lift) Brachioplasty (arm lift surgery) is a technique to lift and tighten the skin of the arm.
- Wrinkling and excessive bagginess of the thighs (See Thigh Lift) A medial thigh lift can lift the inner thighs, whereas a lower body lift addresses the outer and posterior portions of the thighs.
Obviously all of these concerns cannot be addressed simultaneously during one operation. However, two procedures usually can be safely combined. During your consultation, Dr. Rahul Goyal will assess your anatomy as well as your own priorities to help you develop a comprehensive plan or blueprint for your body contouring. It is not uncommon to combine a tummy tuck with a breast lift (with or without the addition of breast implants), or a thigh lift with an arm lift, as well as other possible combinations of procedures.
If you think you might be a good candidate for body contouring following significant weight loss, this page will give you a basic understanding of the procedures and the results you can expect. You are encouraged to read more about the specific procedures in greater detail which may also be found on this website.
The cornerstone of Dr. Rahul Goyal approach is to individualize treatment to your specific circumstances and goals and to ensure that you have an adequate understanding of the issues involved so that you are able to make a fully informed decision. This will help you achieve the appearance you desire with the least invasive procedure(s) available, thus creating a mutually rewarding experience.
Dr. Rahul Goyal invites you to visit his office for a complimentary consultation to discuss these procedures in greater detail. You are also invited to email Dr. Revis with your questions, or we will mail you more detailed information regarding these procedures.
As you consider plastic surgery, one of the most important decisions you will make is choosing your surgeon. Our pledge to you is to provide the latest, state of the art cosmetic plastic surgery in a safe, compassionate and professional environment. Dr. Rahul Goyal is a recognized expert in the field of post-bariatric plastic surgery